Metrics are guaranteed elements that when applied to your resources (including servers, applications, storage, and networks) can track the current health and behavior. Metrics are raw data that carry information about the availability, performance, and, capacity of your IT services. For example:
- Total disk space used.
- CPU and memory utilization of your server.
Proper selection and application of metrics can help organizations to:
- Identify the different types of issues.
- Set thresholds to identify a service failure.
After onboarding your resources, verify whether OpsRamp provides support for all resources in your inventory. For more information, contact OpsRamp Support.
The agent or the gateway collects metric data from your resources while monitoring and raises an alert when it surpasses the threshold values. After creating the metric, create a monitor for the same collector type.
To create metrics, configure the following parameters from the CREATE METRIC page:
- Metric Scope: Select Partner Metric or Client-Specific Metric.
For the Client-Specific Metric, select the client also.
- Adaptor Type: Select an adapter that signifies the way the specified metric is collected. For example, Gateway, Agent, and Cloud.
- Name: Provide a unique name that specifies the parameters that are monitored.
Recommended naming convention for a metric is
<Prefix>.<Script Type>.<OS>.<Name>. For example, emc.clariion.system.totalrawspace.
- Tag: Provide the user-defined tags for better filtering.
- Display Name: Provide a unique display name for the metric. For example, EMC CLARiiON System Total Raw Space.
The Display Name and Name must infer the same purpose.
- Description: Defines the purpose of the metric. For example, the total raw storage capacity of the system.
- Data Point type: Select the value selected to plot data in the graph.
- Units: Select a unit according to the metric value. For example, performance metrics, select Percentage(%).
- Unit Multiplication Factor: Provide the value chosen to multiply a value based on the chosen unit.
- Data Point Conversion: Select one of the following options:
- Enumerated Map
If you select Enumerated Map, provide details for State Descriptions and Use formatted value in fields.
- Metric Processing: Select one of the following values for processing the Metric.
- Graph and Notification
If you have selected Graph or Graph and Notification, provide the following details:
- Warning if value: Provide the warning threshold value.
- Critical if value: Provide the critical threshold value.
- Subject: Provide the subject for the metric.
- Description: Provide the description for the metric.
Important! The values for Subject and Description are populated by default. OpsRamp recommends not to change the values as that can result in the failure of alert generation.
Perform various actions on the Metrics screen after creating a metric.
Export or Import metric details in the CSV or JSON format from the METRICS screen.
Use Search to find a metric using the metric Name. For searching multiple metrics sharing the same criteria, use the Advanced option.
Viewing metric list
Refer to the table below to understand the information displayed on the Metrics page:
|Name||Displays the metric name.|
|Display Name||The display name for the metric.|
|Adaptor Type||The collector type that you want to gather the information.|
|Application Type||The technology that the metric belongs to.|
|Unit||The metric unit value.|
|Graph||The configured critical or warning expressions.|
|Alert Expression (Warning/Critical)||The configured critical or warning expressions.|
|Description||The description of the metric.|